Dr A V Rajeev Nair, BAMS, MD (Ay)
Chief Physician & CEO
Every person experiences hairfall on daily basis as part of the body’s natural renewal cycle, but the problem arises when there is more hairfall and gradually scalp visualizing outside. When large number of hair is falling out or bald spots are seen, one may wish to see a doctor or dermatologist. However, this excessive shedding may be due to stress or other physiological issues.
In Ayurveda, hair and nail are direct by products of bone tissue (Asthi Dhathu). If there is derangement in bone tissue, hair loss occurs. There are time tested healing therapies as well as herbal formulations in Ayurveda for this. It helps to strengthen the innate bone tissue, thereby enhancing the rejuvenation of hair roots and activation of growth of hair without any side effects. Poor nutrition, stress, anxiety, heredity, hormonal changes, medical conditions and differed lifestyle are the major factors leading to hair fall.
The Ayurveda solution/ treatments to strengthen hair includes:
• Shirodhara – Good for nourishing the hair roots by improving the blood flow and active nerve functions.
• Shiro Abhyanga- Massage over the scalp with customized oils will help to reduce the dryness and also improves the blood circulation to the scalp for nourishment.
• Shirolepa- Application of suitable herbal pastes over the head will nourish the scalp as well as gives strength to the hair roots.
• Nasya- Instillation of drops of suitable fresh herbal juices or oils into the nostrils is the best therapy for stimulating the nervous system and blood supply, thereby correcting the imbalance of doshas.
• Hair cleansers – some of the natural hair cleansers like Shikkakai, Aloe vera, Hibiscus, Amla (Indian gooseberries), Besan (gram flour), Reetha (soap nut), Thriphala, Methi (fenugreek), Neem etc are very effective when it is used as per the condition after proper assessment.
• Herbs like Brahmi (bacopa monnieri), Bhrungraj (eclipta alba), Kumari (aloe vera), Aswagandha (indian ginseng),
Japa (hibiscus), and Lavender are also very much effective and are used in different forms/ combinations.
• Balanced diet – A wholesome diet, rich in essential vitamins and minerals plays a crucial role in hair growth.
Example- Green leafy vegetables, cucumbers, coriander, pumpkin, cumin, turmeric, curry leaves, buttermilk etc. Also try to follow proper food timings.
DIET FOR HAIR FALL
Dr. Snigdhaa Ojha, BAMS
Senior Physician & Dietician
Hair fall can be caused by various factors, which include a nutrient deficient diet, stress or water quality. Eating a balanced diet with the right nutrients can help promote hair growth. Their are different nutrients that can help in reducing hair fall.
Vitamin A: It helps in hair cell growth. The food which are rich in Vitamin A are carrot,pumpkin,spinach, sweet potato etc.
Vitamin C: It helps in making collagen, an important part of hair structure, and helps in iron absorption.
The sources are goose berry, Orange, Grape fruit, Lemon, Bell pepper , Guava etc.
Biotin: Biotin is the best vitamin for hair growth. Sources include almonds, cauliflower, egg, mushroom etc.
Iron: Iron deficiency can lead to hair loss, Rich sources of iron are green leafy vegetables such as spinach, amaranthus and drumstick leaves, chickpea, kidney beans etc.
Protein: You should eat enough protein for reducing hair fall. Rich sources include eggs, lentils, chicken, fish etc.
TIPS FOR STRONG HAIR
Dr. Bhavya Bhupeshbabu, BAMS
- Massage your scalp with a medicated hair oil twice a week. It will increase blood flow to your hair follicles and stimulate hair growth.
- Brush your hair gently.
- Don’t rinse your hair with warm/ hot water.
- Avoid tying your hair up too often.
- Invest in a natural and good hair serum.
- Avoid using tools that produce too much heat.
- Keep your hair care routine minimal and natural. Use any natural powder cleanser or a mild shampoo for cleansing.
- Let your hair dry naturally after bath, avoid blow dryers.
- Watch what you eat, mindful and healthy diet is extremely essential.
- Keeping a check on stress and emotions is of utmost importance.
YOGA FOR HAIR FALL
Mr. Narendra Shinde
The main causes of hair fall are stress, anxiety, nutritional deficiency and poor blood circulation to the scalp. There are some basic asanas and pranayamas that can enhance blood circulation to the scalp, improve digestion as well as reduce anxiety and stress levels. Yoga asanas stimulate the circulation of blood and oxygen to the scalp and help rejuvenate dry and limp hair to promote hair growth. The asanas which you should practice regularly to reduce hair fall are: